Gnomes Alpine Sports specialise in custom ski boot fitting. Our one-on-one personal service uses a cutting edge, computerised pressure mapping analysis system, allowing our experienced technicians to hand craft your footbeds while you wait providing the best biomechanical set up while offering maximum comfort and control.
Computerised Foot Pressure Analysis System
Click here for more details on our new computerised analysis system.
Boot fitting steps
Using the only pressure mapping system in New Zealand, A Gnomes ski boot technician will scan the sole of your foot and observe images the naked eye cannot see, like weight distribution and anatomical structure of the foot to help identify the areas of support needed. We will also evaluate your stance, posture, biomechanical makeup, flexibility, previous injuries and any problems that may occur within the boot.
The feet are the foundation of the entire body, therefore we must support them correctly otherwise problems will occur. Our technicians mould the custom footbed directly to the contours of your feet while you wait. All foot types benefit from custom footbeds they improve comfort, performance and weight distribution while aligning the lower leg while decreasing fatigue, impact and shock. We use specific materials to reinforce the chassis providing a solid foundation for the entire foot.
At Gnomes we offer a large range of different fitting boots to accommodate all foot types, abilities and type of skiing. After your foot analysis there will be a maximum of 3 boots that fit your profile, foot shape, ability, fitness level and future goals. Together with your technician you will find the best fit. Once the final boot is selected your custom footbeds will be made and fitted to your boots, from here extra customisation maybe be required.
Shell Modification - Stretching the plastic of the boot to accommodate the foot, common areas are ankle bone, width of foot and bunions. A simple process that offers maximum comfort.
Liners - Adapting the existing liner with additional materials or upgrading to an after market custom liner for ultimate comfort and performance.
Boot alignment (canting) - Once you have the correct ski boot with a custom footbed supporting your foot and aligning your body, we will check that the cuff alignment is correct for maximum control.
Body Alignment - Sometimes your body’s misalignment and comfort level within a ski boot is due to muscle imbalances like tight or weak muscles. The Gnomes team will give you a programme that will help improve this, from there your skiing technique, comfort, control and muscle fatigue will improve.
Boot fitting tips
- Invest in a good quality technical sock that wick’s moisture away from the foot and offers padding where you need it the most. NO Rugby socks!
- Only ever wear one pair of socks at a time.
- Do not tuck thermals into your ski boots or socks, this can cause pressure points.
- Work into your budget a custom footbed, this makes or breaks the comfort of the ski boot, the foot needs to be supported.
- Almost everyone will NOT find a ski boot comfortable straight off the shelf, customisation will be needed!
- Do not try on every ski boot in the shop, as there are only one or two that will fit your foot type and it will confuse you in making a final decision.
- Ski boots are snug, toes will touch the end when walking around in a ski shop, however his will change once in "ski postion" (knees bent)
- Do not over tighten your buckles, if you feel the need to the boot is too big or not the correct fit.
- Store your ski boot done up when not in use.
Gnomes Unique Service
- New Zealand's first and only computerised pressure mapping analysis system.
- Professional ski boot fitting by experience staff, fully trained to the highest of standards.
- One-on-one appointments available
- Full ski boot comfort guarantee
- Ski boot alignment
- Ski fitness program
- Free adjustments for the life time of the ski boot
- Specialise in problem feet
- Boot Check = Free of Charge
- Custom footbed + Scan (boot purchased at Gnomes) = $199.90
- Custom Footbed +Scan (boot purchased elsewhere) = $249.90
- Premium Footbed + Scan (boot purchased at Gnomes) = $229.90
- Premium Footbed + Scan (boot purchased elsewhere) = $279.90
- Pre-moulded Footbed = $69.90
- Work per hour (Boot purchase elsewhere) = $60
Bookings and Questions
If you have any questions or problems regarding ski boots fitting feel free to contact us expert advice. Please call us on 03 3188 433 or email us to make a booking for your 1-on-1 appointment with a technician.
For our Boot Comfort Guarantee see Terms and Conditions